Beekman Place

a

- 60s wool sweater
- 30s wool jacket
- Steven Alan chambray shirt
- thrifted wool skirt (shortened by me)
- H&M tights
- vintage boots, belt & wool hat

Yesterday Tom and I ventured up to New York City for a day of exploring and taking photos. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that a planned trip to NY had been delayed and yesterday was finally the day. This trip has been in the works for quite some time! A while back, Tom was invited to photograph a historic abandoned building in the financial district of Manhattan and asked me if I would like to come along. The answer was an easy yes.

The Beekman Street building was once known as Temple Court and was built in 1882. Today it is the earliest surviving “fireproof” office building of the pre-skyscraper period. It is also the third building in the city to have had an elevator installed. The elevators are still working, by the way. Words really can't do this place justice. Everywhere you look there are amazing details, from the art nouveau style stair railings to the cast iron dragons that hold up each balcony. I was daydreaming about living there the entire time I was wandering around! The fate of the building is still unknown as it sits abandoned but there are rumors of it being turned into a hotel. I want to go back and stay there someday!

Here are just a few quick snapshots I took around the place. As I walked around I found a lot of the rooms held evidence of past photos shoots; piles of hair pins, tissues smeared with lipstick, a set of prop ladders that had been left leaning in the sunlight. I couldn't resist carrying in an armload of clothes myself to have some fun with. Tom took lots of amazing photos that we are working on compiling into something (not sure exactly what yet) to present on the blog. I can't wait to show you!

b