Lunch date with Tieka

2010Dec28_0068
I met up with Tieka for lunch last week to see her amazing new office and grab lunch at a restaurant called Hop Cat where possibly the best tasting fries exist. I was so excited to see her new office. Lots of window light, cool decor and fun staff. The building where she works is within walking distance of dozens of great restaurants.
I just got this cozy sweater from Threadsence and thought it would be the perfect comfortable outfit to run errands and grab lunch in. I wore it over an American Apparel v-neck and denim shorts with thick tights and this week to work over a grey dress! So comfy!
Oh and I just realized this, happy first birthday to my blog today! WHOA. Time flies. Thank you guys so much for reading and coming back!
2010Dec28_0065
[sweater c/o threadsence, denim shorts by bdg, boots by steve madden, bag by rebecca minkoff, v-neck by american apparel, socks by exhilaration]
2010Dec28_0061
2010Dec28_0071
2010Dec28_0076
The gorgeous Tieka. Thanks for taking my photos!
2010Dec28_0014
Fashion Beauty Friend Friday Questions:
1. Have you ever looked at someone's blog and thought yours will never measure up?
I definitely have times when I feel insecure about my blog and become envious of how amazing other bloggers' outfits are styled, how sweet they are photographed and how clever they are with their writing. But then I comment on how awesome they are and they inspire me to improve my own. I struggle with thinking of how to grow mine, but I think for me it's about being a little more thoughtful. Instead of rushing my outfit photos, I need to get more comfortable and try different types of shots and challenge myself with trying new trends and remixing outfits.
2. Do you (did you) feel pressure to meet some kind of undefined standard for fashion bloggers?
Nah. I don't know what this standard is. I just make sure whatever I post is me and me not trying to be someone else. I hold high standards for myself in anything I do so it's important for me to challenge myself with my own personal style, capture quality photographs and write in my own voice.
3. Many established fashion bloggers are also extraordinary DIYers, bakers, and crafty people. Do you think you need to combine all of these things to be successful at blogging?
I think it's really cool that people are so crafty and creative. I am not one of those people. I don't think it's necessary to combine all these things on top of fashion blogging to be successful. Not everyone including me is crafty and creative and when I read my favorite blogs, a lot of them don't bake or make things--I like them for their style. When anyone does have one of these amazing skills, they should show it off on their blog though. It's great to see anyone share their passions on their blog whether it's baking, making jewelry or DIY stuff.
4. The most successful blogs are the ones that have their own personal voice - how are you developing your voice or how did you find yours?
I think I do alright with this. My favorite teacher and FFA advisor from high school told me recently reading my blog sounds just like how I would in a conversation. She knows me well! And I like that after I leave work, I'm no longer ghost writing articles or writing objectively. It's finally my opportunity to say whatever the hell I want and I take full advantage.
5. Toot your own horn... what's one thing you do that is unique to you and your blog? What gives your blog an edge?
I hope that readers enjoy when I feature my stylish friends. I love photographing them and featuring both their style and my photography.