A Different Kind of Dress-Up

Yesterday I decorated a shirt, but it was not for fashion's sake. In fact, the shirt was absolutely nerdy, and not in a remotely chic way. No, my shirt was a basic Hane's sweatshirt, which I used markers to emblazon with the message, "Don't Legislate Hate." And I wore it to a DOMA protest run by Join the Impact MA in Boston, along with two cousins/friends.



I've never been to a gay rights protest before, but the experience was great. The crowd was smaller than expected - only two hundred people or so showed up due to the 16 degree (Fahrenheit) weather - but there was a lot of energy. We listened to speeches, cheered and booed at the appropriate times, and then marched down the street past the state house. Everyone was so friendly, so united for the cause, and there was an amazing gay slam poetry performance to end the event. Everyone was beyond freeeezing, but it was worth it to us to be there. A great experience!



Ha, I almost took a picture with the girl whose sign said "Nerdy Straight Girls for Marriage Equality," since I am indeed a nerdy straight girl in favor of marriage equality. I truly believe that everyone should have the right to marry the person they love and experience the benefits of an officially documented marriage. It's terrible that gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual, and generally "queer" individuals are treated as second-class citizens in this day and age, and in this country. I'm glad that it's in my power to help forward the goal of "liberty and justice for all."

The top two photos are mine (okay, okay, my cousin took them), but the bottom three are courtesy of Tom™5.

The protest was part of a nationwide movement. Join the Impact in your city/state!